Beyond words

In the course of our careers, we stenographers get really good at sharing the narratives of others. Our brains and bodies work together with machine shorthand and turn sound waves into text on a page or screen to communicate what was said.

The testimony I hear and transcribe is often beyond words, and I couldn't talk about it even if I wanted to; so more and more, making art has become one of my favorite means for self-expression. This practice, whether it's sketching, coloring, or maintaining an art journal, puts me in a great mood, probably by helping to release emotions and pent up energy from working in this intense but rewarding field. When I'm able to creatively express myself, my days are just somehow more awesome.

What is your favorite creative outlet?  Feel free to share in the comments.